Driving license exchange
A holder of a national driving license issued abroad and referred to in road traffic conventions may drive a motor vehicle on the territory of the Republic of Poland if the holder stays on the territory of the Republic of Poland for up to 185 days in a calendar year. After that time, the driving license must be exchanged for a Polish driving license.
A holder of a national driving license issued abroad may, at the request of that person submitted with a department of motor vehicles of the administrative county district (wydział komunikacji starostwa) (or with a district office) competent for his/her place of residence, receive a driving license of respective category after returning the foreign document to the authority that issues the driving license. If the driving license issued abroad IS NOT referred to in road traffic conventions, the Polish driving license may be issued only after passing a theory part of the state exam and after submitting a sworn translation of the foreign document.
The aforesaid condition doesn’t apply to a national driving license issued in a member state of the European Union, the Swiss Confederation or a state being a member of the European Free Trade Association (EFTA) – a party to the agreement on the European Economic Area.
If a driving license issued abroad contains restrictions connected with its expiry date or with a health condition of the holder or other restrictions, then such restrictions should be included in the Polish driving license.
Documents required to exchange the foreign driving license issued by: a member state of the European Union, the Swiss Confederation, EFTA, State Party to the Road Traffic Conventions or corresponding to the model driving license referred to in these Conventions:
- Clear, current, color, left three-quarter view photo (3.5 x 4.5 cm) of an applicant wearing no headgear or dark glasses; left ear of the applicant must not be covered and his/her face should be equally lit. A person with congenital or contracted sight disorder may provide a photo of himself/herself wearing dark glasses and a person wearing headgear required by his/her religion may provide a photo of himself/herself wearing headgear but only if the photo is included in a document certifying the identity of that person.
- A photocopy of the driving license currently held.
- A translation of the driving license into Polish made or certified by a sworn translator or a competent consul of the Republic of Poland.
- A photocopy of a residence card, visa or other document certifying that an applicant is entitled to stay on the territory of the Republic of Poland, or a certificate proving that an applicant has been a student for at least six months (in the case of foreigners).
- A receipt confirming that the driving license issuance fee amounting to PLN 100 and the registration fee amounting to PLN 0.50 have been paid.
- Declaration on being aware of Article 233 of the Penal Code.