Extension of a visa in Poland

A Schengen visa or a national visa can be extended in Civil and Migration Affairs Departments in Voivodeship Offices.

Addresses of Voivodeship Offices

On principle, to be able to remain in the country legally you need to apply for a temporary residence permit. You can find more information in the article Residence permit.

An application for a visa extension needs to be lodged at latest on the last day of lawful stay.
If the application for an extension of a Schengen visa or a national visa has been lodged on time and the application does not contain any formal shortcomings, you will receive a stamp in your passport confirming you have lodged your application (during this period your stay in Poland will be considered lawful). A visa may be extended once (with the exception of extending a national when the foreigner is hospitalized).

The duration of stay based on an extended visa may not exceed the maximum duration of stay for the given visa type:

  • 365 days – national visa (the D/05 visa is an exception because it entitles to a maximum duration of stay of 180 days in the subsequent 12 moths);
  • 90 days in a 180 day period for Schengen visas.

logo migrapolis

logo ue biale

Project “New law - my new rights” is co-financed by European Fund for Integration
of Third Country Nationals and Polands state budget

 Copyright © by Foundation for Development Beyond Borders, 2015